April 16, 2012

I suppose there is one thing I should say before starting this entry.  Although my brother, who is one year younger than myself, has not spoken for more than 10 minutes to me in over 30 or so years, I still feel I should wish him at Happy 49th Birthday.

The last time I saw him was about 2 years ago when I visited my family and friends in 2010.  Even then, we only spoke for a couple of minutes.  To my knowledge, he has been married a couple of times, and has 2 or 3 children.  Only one of his children I know her name, and even she never talks to me.  In fact, the last time I saw her she was still a toddler.

Even growing up as kids, my brother and I were never really close.  The idea of brothers being close, was never something I ever experienced with him.  There was one time when we lived together in a house.  I won’t get into details, because it’s all in the past.  I think this may have been the ‘… straw that broke the camel’s back…’ so-to-speak.  If we had had any close relationship to that point, this living arrangement destroyed all that.

Yes, I still remember those days gone by, and probably always will.  I bear no ill-will toward him, but that’s about it.  Yes, we are brothers, but that’s it. I honestly don’t think we will be anything other than estranged siblings.  Nonetheless, I hope you had a great day.

Not to sound selfish, but back to me and my life.

I had planned on going to the vet this morning to see if Cornelia was better and could come home.  For some reason, I decided to call instead to see how she was doing.  Apparently, she is still having a bit of a hard time breathing.  The vet suggested having a couple more tests done.  Cornelia is not eating, still on medication and IV, but otherwise seems to be normal.

They wanted to do a FeLV (Feline Leukemia) test and FIP (Feline Infectious Peritonitis).  I agreed and asked them to perform whatever testing they felt necessary.  After doing a bit of research on the Internet, and familiarizing myself with these conditions, I could understand why the vet suggested performing these tests.

After class, I went over to the vet to see how Cornelia was doing.  If I didn’t know better, she seemed quite happy to see me.  While the vet was a bit pre-occupied with a dog at the moment, I went to the oxygen cage and visited with Cornelia.

It was kind of difficult at first to see her with a cone around her head, IV in her leg, but as soon as she saw me, she started to meow and purr and prance around in the cage.

I took her out, and she hopped into my lap.  She settled down, and continued purring very loudly.  She didn’t seem to be in any pain or discomfort, and actually, aside from the laboured breathing after a few minutes, was as normal as I had ever known.

I chatted with the vet for a few minutes.  All the tests were normal.  The FeLV and FIP were both negative.  After everything she’s been through in the past few days, it just seems that she has a case of pneumonia.  Tomorrow, I will go in with a can of the food she likes to eat.

Cornelia, of all the cats, is a very fussy eater.  She won’t eat dry food.  She will only eat canned food, and even then, there are only a couple of kinds she will eat!  I think that may be part of the problem.  I have every confidence that she is getting all the proper nourishment she requires via IV, but just not the bulk.  That could explain why she appears to be a bit thinner than she’s been in a while!

After discussing options with the vet, I put Cornelia back in the oxygen cage. That was when I noticed that, and I can only think it was because of her happiness to see me, she had, um, peed on me!  And it appeared that she had been saving it up for a while!!

So, the decision was made to take her off the oxygen for a couple of hours (until the office closed for the evening), and see how she was doing.  If it wasn’t too bad, then they would take her off the oxygen completely.  I’ll find out in the morning.

However, since she has no diseases or contagions that could be passed on to the other cats, and providing that she at least tries to eat something tomorrow morning, then I will be able to take her home.  The vet will give me medicine to help her combat the pneumonia, and basically, let her body fight it out.

I’ll keep as close an eye on her as I can, and see that she is okay.  I’m hoping that this is all, and that she will recover.

I have noticed, to a lesser degree, that the other cats seem to know that Cornelia is missing.  Aside from Qadan, the others have lived with her for five years.  If I know my cats as well as I feel I do, I can only imagine that they must be feeling a sense of loss as well.  They did go through a period last year when Simba passed away.  I could see the change in their attitudes for a short period, as well as the meowing and looking around in Simba’s favourite places.

Perhaps these few days of being away from the others, resting, being cared for, and receiving medical treatment for her pneumonia, has helped her.  When I bring her back home, I will keep her separated from the others for a while.  I’ll gradually get them all back together, but during the daytime, I will keep her away from the others, just so she can recover fully, stress-free.

As I don’t have children of my own, I think I feel for my cats, as parents feel toward their children.  They are a part of my life, and I love each and every one of them.  I have every confidence that she will recover fully over time, and things will return back to normal.




That’s it, that’s all… for now!


1 Comment

Filed under Uncategorized

One response to “April 16, 2012

  1. joyce oconnell

    Your brother is missing out on a friendship that would sustain him in sickness. I’m glad your cat is showing progress.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s