April 14, 2012

I began talking about my life with cats and in particular (and eventually) about Cornelia yesterday.

On Friday morning, I have a class of little kids.  When class was over, I got home as quick as I could, and got Cornelia loaded into a catbox, and took her to the vet.

Her breathing still seemed laborious to her, and was still not eating.  Now I was worried.  The vet’s office is now, almost 25-30 minutes away from my new home.  When I stopped at red lights, Cornelia would start to meow.  This is not uncommon for her or for any of them for that matter.  I talked to her, patted her, and continued on my way.

The vet did a quick check of listening to her breathing, listening to her heart, taking her pulse, temperature, looking at her eyes and ears, and listening to me explaining the past couple of days.

After this quick examination and details, the vet decided to have her put into an oxygen rich cage for a few hours.  They would take X-rays, blood samples, and more detailed examination over the day.  Honestly, at that point, there was not much else I could do.  I told her to get better, gave her a kiss, and said I’d be back.

This may sound ridiculous, but I talk to and treat my cats as if they were people.  I suppose, in a way, I did feel a bit of guilt of not bringing her in sooner, but as it was only a couple of days, and considering that she is a fairly big cat, I did the best I could under the circumstances.

I did call later in the afternoon to get an update on her condition.  At that time, the only person who could speak any English, couldn’t really explain anything to me.  So later that evening, I asked one of my fellow teachers to call the vet for me and get the information.

The information translated to me, made me realize that I had better start to accept the fact that she may pass on.  I had this on my mind for the remainder of my classes, as well as having to think about it all night after class, as the vet’s office closes at 9pm.  I received a message on my iPhone, and with the information given, I did a quick search on the Internet.

I was told that she had severe pneumonia and her leucocyte count (white blood cell) was very high.  They were keeping her in the oxygen cage to assist her breathing, as well as administering antibiotics.  The information on the Internet led me to understand that the problem could be transmitted from one cat to another.  In other words, contagious.  However, the other cats seem to be okay – for now.  The other piece of information led me to think that this condition could be transmitted via fleas.

Just over a week ago, I noticed that the cats had fleas.  As Qadan is the new addition to the house, I immediately went out and bought flea medicine and treated all the cats – Cornelia included.  A week later, Cornelia is sick.  Again, since the others don’t seem to show any similar signs as Cornelia, then it had to be something else.

Cornelia has pneumonia.  How she got this, I have no idea.  Her lungs are full of fluid, thus the vet is giving her antibiotics to fight this.  With her lungs full of fluid, it is causing her to have difficulty breathing.  With her lungs being full, it is pressing on her heart – thus her low blood pressure and slow pulse.  The oxygen is keeping her blood oxygen rich, even though her pulse and pressure are presently low.  At least oxygen is still getting throughout her body.  As her body is trying to fight off the pneumonia, it also producing high white blood cells to combat the infection.  Hopefully the antibiotics will assist in helping with this situation.

She is still a fairly young cat.  She is only 5 years old.  Other than the past couple of days, she is still a healthy and active cat.  I’m hoping that, after talking with the vet today, she will be fine.  They wanted to keep Cornelia over the weekend. I could have taken her home, but since her condition is still not 100%, it was decided that she should stay in the hospital for the weekend.  The vet will be able to monitor her condition, and take more blood tests and administer more antibiotics if necessary.

When I saw her today, she meowed at me, and came over to the window of the cage.  She looked good, and so I feel confident that she will recover from this.  However … I still have to keep in mind, that there is a chance, small as it may be, that she will not recover.  I am prepared for this possibility.  But she is a good strong cat, and the vet has known me and my horde of cats for a long time.  I feel confident that the vet will do as much as he feels is necessary to help Cornelia to get better.

I did take Qadan into the vet today so the vet could examine her, just in case Qadan might have been the cause or carrier.  However, upon examination, Qadan is in good health, and the only thing the vet suggested, was to not let her eat so much!  Qadan is only about 3 or 4 months old, and trying to control her eating, is next to impossible!  It’s like telling me not to drink so much coffee.  Fine in theory, difficult in practice.

That’s it, that’s all… for now!


1 Comment

Filed under Uncategorized

One response to “April 14, 2012

  1. joyce oconnell

    I had a siamese, and she got kidney stones, the operation was too expensive, so I had to have her put to sleep, I left the hospital, and went to the coffee shop & cried. This cat was so neat, she loved to go camping, and was a lot of fun. I hope all is well with your cat.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s